Things to consider while writing
Never forget these points and read them carefully :-
• Check grammar, enable spell check on your word document.
• Describe your characters completely, from the tip of their hair to the curve of their foot, from the round/straight face to long/short legs, etc.
• Read the draft again and again, and cut out what you think is repeated.
• Write till you can. Don’t stop writing. Try to write from two point of views. The suspense is better that way.
The suspense is best when something you least expect happens.
• Get inside the character. Feel, smell, taste and live in your surroundings. Jot it all down. From the porch to the kitchen, write all that you can.
• Listen to songs while writing a romantic play. It helps a lot.
• Try not to start a sentence with ‘But’ or ‘And’. Use articulate and simple language. You don’t want your reader going through dictionaries to understand the meaning of a word.
• Keep the language simple where wanted. Not in all places. For example, while explaining a character’s physique, use strong comprehensive words. Not common words.
• After getting the first draft completed, get it reviewed. Recheck it yourself. Check the number of words.
• If the review is positive, continue with the second draft. Don’t lose patience and hope if the review isn’t positive, continue with the book. Ask the reviewer what the mistakes were. Remember a writer always likes his/her books, it’s sometimes not good for the book. I have read several novels which I sadly thought were not worth my time or money. So please get the book reviewed before publishing it.
• Love your characters. Even the villain, remember in his (villian’s) own eyes, he is just the victim not the bad man/woman.
• I have seen in several books that the writer uses his national language or just any language in dialogues. Either don’t do that or do it with proper translation. Also, don’t over do it.
Now this is the last point and the most crucial one…
Whether the book is your debut or 50th, it doesn’t matter, give it time. All writers have writer blocks, you will suffer from them too. If you do, then do what other things you like to do. If you continue with the book and write nonsense, then you just killed your script right then and there.
Next blog will be about promotions!
Bye! Will add more points in this section soon.